Homemade blackBean burgers at last!
I’ve been toiling over how I was gonna make them for months. The recipe has to be simple and easy enough, so that I’d make them again and again.
Silly me for procrastinating, because it was super easy and delicious! While searching for ideas, I came across the blackBean burger recipe by MinimalistBaker, which only uses three main ingredients; blackBean, sweetPotatoes, & rice.
Well, I just happened to have all three ingredients as leftover (Cuban BlackBeans*, steamed purple sweetPotatoes, & cooked shortgrain rice), and I had to try! I used about a cup of each ingredients, added spice, mixed well, and voilà!
I would definitely make them again!
Ingredints: (makes 4 burgers)
- 1 cup cooked blackBeans (canned beans will do!)
- 1 cup of steamed sweetPotatoes or yums (it takes about 10~12 minutes on stovetop to cook 1/2-inch slices, 3~4 mins in microwave)
- 1 cup of cooked shortgrain rice (best if you have a rice cooker, medium-grain rice works, too)
Spices: (the amount is really up to you!)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Chipotle powder**
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground thyme
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- English muffins
- Ketchup & Dijon mustard (to taste)
Just mix all the ingredients and form patties. It couldn’t be easier. I recommend using the parchment paper.
Instead of baking, I opted to panfry them along with sliced onions and kale while toasting the EnglishMuffins in the toaster oven.
Here are two vine videos for visual aid.
Notes: I made the burgers last night, and kept them overnight in the fridge in a sealed container. The parchment paper is great for keeping them separate.
On the second day, I added some sliced shiitake in the pan, & used BBQ sauce!
* Cuban Black Beans: the blackBeans are cooked with chopped onions, garlic, & cilantro. I start with oliveOil, turmeric & blackPepper to sauté onions & garlic. I also add kelp as well while the beans are cooking.
** If you don’t have chipotle powder, you can use regular chili powder mix instead.