Since I decided to quit meat & dairy three years ago, I’ve started exploring new food to cook, and it’s been delightful. So many delicious stuff!
Quinoa was new to me. The first time I cooked it, I even follow the direction of the package! But I’m glad I did, because while I was tasting it for the first time, I imagined the spices I could add to make the taste explode, just like Remy did in the animated movie, Ratatouille.
Since then I’ve made many versions of quinoa. This is one of my favorite!
Ingredients: (4~5 servings)
- 2 tablespoons of oliveOil
- 1/4 dried cayenne pepper, scissor-cut (or you can use a pinch of red hot pepper flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- A dash of blackPepper
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 leaves of redCabbage, finely-chopped
- 1.5 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup of grits
- 2+ cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of nutritionalYeast
- 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseeds
- SeaSalt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, add cayenne flakes, turmeric, blackPepper, & oliveOil.
- Add garlic and redCabbage, stir, & cook in low heat.
- Add quinoa, & stir.
- Add water, bring to boil.
- Add grits.
- Add nutritionalYeast and ground flaxseeds. Stir and simmer in low heat.
- Continue to simmer for several minutes with the lid on.
- Turn off the stove, and let it steep for another several minutes (Do not peek! Keep that lid on until ready to serve ;).
While waiting for the quinoa to steep, I usually fry up some vegetables and tofu. Sliced ortobello mushrooms, peppers, Brussels sprouts, etc. go very well. The photo features tofu steaks and a purple sweetPotato slice (that was steamed & available today), garnished with homegrown broccoli sprouts.
Here’s today’s vine video.
Another one from while ago.
Happy cooking & eating!