Do you love BlackBeans?I do. I especially LOVE Cuban BlackBeans, the blackBeans cooked with chopped onions, garlic, & cilantro. Lots of cilantro. I used to buy the canned Cuban BlackBeans at TraderJoe’s (which is pretty good), but the homemade ones are so much better, & worth the effort.
Oh, and fear not! Even if you never liked cilantro, you’d like this one, because it doesn’t taste anything like fresh cilantro. It becomes wilted in the pot, you won’t even know it used to be cilantro.
Here’s what I usually use:
- 2 cups of dry organic black beans
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 4~5 cloves of garlic – minsed
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro – chopped
- 1/2 seaSalt
- 1 dried Thai hot pepper (optional)
- 10cm² dry kelp sheet (optional)
- Rinse the black beans in hot water.
- Soak the black beans in filtered 50°C water for a few hours in a covered Dutch oven pot. (The hot-to-touch water will shorten the soaking time.)
- Drain the water, and add filtered water enough to cover the beans, & comes 1 inch above the submerged beans, bring the pot to boil.
- Skim the foam, add water if necessary, cover the pot with the lid crack open, simmer it for 1 hour.
- Add the chopped onions & 1/2 of the minced garlic, and simmer for another hour. (Add the optional kelp here)
- Add the other 1/2 of the minced garlic & 1/2 of the chopped cilantro, stir, put the lid (crack open) back on, & simmer for another hour.
- Add the rest of the chopped cilantro.
- Stir, & simmer until ready to serve.
- Add seaSalt to taste. Enjoy!!!
Please check occasionally, and add water as needed to make sure the beans are submerged while simmering. (＾ｰ^)ノ☆
Anyway, it’s so good with any sautéed vegetables of your choice. Or just with some diced avocado and hot sauce!
I sometimes add a little sheet of dried kelp while cooking the beans. Kelp adds extra fiber, which cleans toxins your intestines! It dissolves in the pot if cooked long enough, adding extra umami!
Cuban BlackBeans vine: https://vine.co/v/OlK5wUx7VMr
PintoBeans cooked with a sheet of kelp: https://vine.co/v/eu2Txq2LnO3