Lemon is my favorite fruit/herb/plant. I LOVE lemon. I even have a 9-year-old seed-grown tree in the kitchen (currently wintering), which flowered in this past February (2016).
Funny how the inspiration comes from “doing” and not the other way around. As I started making the julienned lemon zest I always keep in the freezer for “かくし味 (secret flavor)” in many of my cooking, I had a sudden urge to make vegan lemon curd.
I wanted to use agave, cane sugar, coconut oil, tapioca flour, and almond+cashew milk, all of which were at hand. Browsing through recipes online, I decided to use the one by Sean Beveridge as a guide.
Here’s what I used: (yields 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 lemon zest, finely minced
- 1/4 cup agave
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 Tablespoons almond+cashew milk
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix by constantly stirring fresh lemon juice and zest, agave, cane sugar, in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Add tapioca flour one tablespoon at a time to mix.
- Add almond+cashew milk.
- Keep stirring for several minutes until it thickens.
- Add coconut oil. At first the oil float on top, but don’t worry, it will get blended into the mix in a few minutes to a consistency of a thick gravy.
- Pour it into clean jars, & cool in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Here’s a vine video.
Happy cooking and eating!