It’s been a while since I last made this soup (stew), and boy it’s delicious.Here’s what I used this time:
- 1 tablespoon of oliveOil
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- A dash of blackPepper
- A pinch of seaSalt
- 1/2 large or 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium butternutSquash, skin removed & cut in bite size
- 2 small (Yukon) potatoes, cut in bite size
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, diced (stems sliced thinly)
- 2 tablespoons of mirin* (sweet cooking sake)
- Filtered water (enough to cover the cut ingredints)
- 2 teaspoons of Kelp powder stock*
- A pinch of lemon zest (optional, but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons of rice miso*
- Scallions for the finishing touch
- Start with heated pan with oliveOil, turmeric & blackPepper, and add onions. Stir, & cover the pan to sweat the onions in low heat.
- Add butternutSquash, potatoes, shiitake, water, and mirin. Stir, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat again to simmer until the squash & potatoes are soft (about 10-15 minutes).
- Add kelp powder stock & lemon zest, and miso. Stir.
- Add scallions for color and flavor.
- Enjoy eating!
Sometimes I also add fried tofu cubes on the second day to enjoy slightly different versions. Or if you prefer, you can add a couple of diced vegan sausages for a richer taste.
* You can find these in the Asian grocery stores.
Here is the vine video.
Thanks for stopping by.
Happy cooking & eating!