Good tasting vegan food doesn’t have to be complicated to make. This TofuScramble I just came up with is a keeper! It’s delicious, quick & easy!
What I’ve used…
- 1 teaspoon coconutOil
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- A dash of blackPepper+seaSalt
- 1/2 cup onion—diced
- 1 big clove of garlic—chopped
- 1/2 package of firm tofu (I used TraderJoeSan’s organic)—cut into cubes & lightly squeezed (the excess moisture out) in the hand
- 2 shiitake mushrooms—diced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers—chopped
- 1~2 leaf of cabbage (I used 2 small ones)—chopped
- 3 Tablespoons of hummus
- 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed mixed in 1 Tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon of nutritionalYeast
- SeaSalt+whitePepper to taste
- Frypan with lid
…and here’s how I made it:
- In a heated non-stick frypan, put coconutOil, turmeric, seaSalt, & blackPepper.
- Add onions & stir. Then add shiitake, garlic, & cabbage, & stir. Place a lid, & let them steam in their own moisture for a few minutes (⇦this is important) in the low heat.
- Meanwhile, hand-squeeze the excess moisture out of the cubed tofu. Then add them to the pan & stir.
- Add hummus & stir. Then add flaxseed+water mixture & stir.
- Add nutritionalYeast & stir.
- SeaSalt & whitePepper (& 1/2 teaspoon of soySauce if you like) to taste.
- Served on steamed plain jasmineRice, & enjoy eating!
My reasons behind what I’ve used:
CoconutOil mimics butter, & adds a dairy-like flavor. It may not be totally healthy thing to eat, so I use it sparingly.
Turmeric+blackPepper is the power combo for health. For more info, please learn at NutritionFacts.org (not affiliated).
Onions, garlic, & shiitake are triple umami makers! You don’t need meat for umami if you use these three!
Cabbage adds a wonderful hidden umami where vegan dishes need “oomph.” lol IMHO, it adds a hint of animalFood-like odor.
Tofu is such a versatile food! If you like Edamame, you’d like tofu, coz they’re both soyBeans! It’s an excellent plantBased protein.
Hummus gives both the taste and texture of cooked egg yolk, and it works in cooking!
Flaxseed+water mixture is one of the go-to ingredients in vegan cooking in place of egg-white.
There you have it. All the ingredients work together to possibly fool an egg-lover 😉
Happy Cooking & eating!