Thank goodness for nature—she provides everything we need to a T without ever harming animals. In this case, to make vegan jello dessert.
Although it’s nothing new. I’ve had this vegan jello option since childhood, growing up in Japan. It’s called “kanten” in Japanese, and which is agar—extracts of algae.
I use the powder agar that’s conveniently packaged for single uses.
What I used (for 6 individual servings):
- 1 packet of kanten (agar) powder
- 300ml of purified water
- 150ml of freshly brewed espresso coffee + 100ml of purified water (you can use 250ml of strong regular coffee)
- A dash of cinnamon powder
- 1 Tablespoon of coffee-bean-soaked vodka (or coffee liquor)
- 1/4 cup of cane sugar
- 50ml of unsweetened almond+cashew milk
- A small saucepan
- 6 glass containers
- In the small saucepan, put kanten powder and water, & bring to boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While kanten jelly liquid is simmering, prepare the coffee (espresso+water) by adding the coffee flavored vodka & cinnamon powder, & stir.
- Add the prepared coffee to the boiling kanten jelly liquid, & stir.
- Add sugar, & stir.
- Pour into 6 small glass containers (or tea-cups).
- Chill them in the refrigerator for a few hours until firm.
- Add a dub of coconutMilk whipped cream, & enjoy eating!
Here’s a vine video:
The big difference between cooking with kanten & gelatin is the jelling process; kanten requires to be boiled for a few minutes to form while gelatin only requires hot water.
You can also use fruit juices or sweet wines instead of coffee. When you do, make sure the kanten jelly liquid is cooled off the burner for a few minutes before adding the acidic liquids.
It’s really easy, yet so tasty! Oh, and guilt-free, because kanten is soluable fiber, which helps you regular!
Happy healthy cooking & eating!